1) Americans work more hours than ever before and often at several jobs.
2) Young people, especially high school and college students, do not have time to enjoy their youth, which should be a period when they abundantly and exuberantly experience life.
3) So many people have moved away, even far away, from the place of their birth.
4) People struggle to raise children without the support of extended families.
5) People have abandoned those religious and civic associations that once bound them together. (Sherry Turkle, Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other, New York, Basic Books, 2011, p. 157.)
Related Articles: We Must Resist the Temptation to Secession